Visitor Information hero banner

Welcome to Saskatchewan, Canada

Imagine a place with so many lakes and rivers that solitude is almost guaranteed. Wild, untouched wilderness with world-class fishing and hunting opportunities. You are sure to find the tranquil beauty and warm hospitality that Saskatchewan is known for.


Saskatchewan Fishing and Hunting Map

Download this handy PDF guide to Saskatchewan's best fishing and hunting experiences. 

Saskatchewan Anglers Guide

Click here to download the 2022-23 Anglers Guide.
The contents of this guide apply from April 16, 2022, to April 15, 2023. 



Latest Travel Information

Effective October 1, 2022, all travellers, regardless of citizenship, will no longer have to:

  • submit public health information through the ArriveCAN app or website;
  • provide proof of vaccination;
  • undergo pre- or on-arrival testing;
  • carry out COVID-19-related quarantine or isolation;
  • monitor and report if they develop signs or symptoms of COVID-19 upon arriving to Canada.

Transport Canada is also removing existing travel requirements. As of October 1, 2022, travellers will no longer be required to undergo health checks for travel on air and rail; or wear masks on planes and trains.

U.S. and International Visitors

Visitors to Canada must present valid identification upon entering the country. For U.S. residents, Canada Border Services Agency recommends a passport, because it is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document for the purpose of international travel. U.S. hunters are required to produce their passport or other approved secure document (NEXUS card, FAST card or Secure Certificate of Indian Status) when re-entering the United States.

NEXUS program members can present their membership card when entering by land, air or marine modes. Members of the FAST program may present FAST cards when entering by land or marine modes only.

Without proper identification, visitors may be denied entry at the border.

Purchasing A Licence

Saskatchewan has an automated hunting, angling and trapping licence (HAL) system in place.  Licences are available online any time, through private issuers, Ministry of Environment and select provincial park offices, or by phone at 1-855-848-4773. For information on hunting licence fees, firearm regulations and season dates, visit

Anglers and hunters will need to create a Hunting, Angling and Trapping (HAL) identification to purchase a licence. This a one-time requirement. You can purchase your licence through any one of the following methods:

1. The online hunting, angling and trapping (HAL) licencing system
2. Through private issuers, Ministry of Environment and select Provincial Park offices;
3. By phone at 1-855-848-4773 (8 a.m. – 9 p.m. Saskatchewan time)

Firearms and Weapons

All weapons – including firearms, mace, tear gas and pepper spray – must be declared to customs upon arrival. Visitors who are at least 18 years old may import ordinary rifles and shotguns for hunting, sporting use, competition, movement in transit, or for protection against wildlife in remote areas (excluding National Parks). The importation is allowed, provided the customs is satisfied with the circumstances of the importation. Under Canadian law, visitors are not allowed to import firearms and defensive sprays for personal protection.

Restricted Firearms

  • Most handguns;
  • Semi-automatic rifles and shotguns that are capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition, have barrels between 105 mm (4.14 inches) and 470 mm (18.5 inches) long, and are not otherwise prohibited;
  • Firearms designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length less than 660 mm (26 inches) by folding, telescoping and other means; and
  • Firearms restricted by regulations.

Prohibited Firearms

  • Handguns with barrels less than or equal to 105 mm (4.14 inches) long;
  • Handguns designed or adapted to discharge a 25- or 32-calibre cartridge;
  • Firearms adapted from rifles or shotguns by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, that, when adapted in this way, are less than 660 mm (26 inches) long or have a barrel that is less than 457 mm (18.5 inches) long;
  • Automatic firearms, whether or not altered to fire in the manner of a semi-automatic firearm; and
  • Firearms prohibited by regulations.

If you were born after January 1, 1971, you are required to provide proof that you have successfully completed the Saskatchewan firearm safety/hunter education training or a similar recognized course from another jurisdiction before you can buy, hold, or apply for a hunting or trapping licence. If requested to do so by the licence vendor, you must produce a valid certificate or you will be denied a licence.

In addition, anyone using firearms under the age of 18 must have a minor’s firearm licence. Applications can be obtained by calling the Canadian Firearms Centre at 1-800-731-4000.